Richard Rohr - both/and
**Rowland Croucher**
2010-06-28 10:34:18 UTC
(From The Naked Now, 2009).

First some notes I scribbled on this concept (I've included some
page-numbers, but sorry, I don't have a copy of Richard's book in front
of me right now for the others). Then his brilliant little Appendix
"AND"...

* Stop thinking about this or that: fall into 'objectless consciousness'

* The 'Joyful mind' can find truth on both sides (of the
conservative/liberal or dualistic/non-dualistic approaches)

* Begin with a 'yes' of basic acceptance, not too quickly labeling,
analyzing or categorizing things in or out, good or bad. Leave the field
open (49)

* The terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' invariably refer to rather
useless polarity thinking... Dualistic thinkers are trapped in such
small frames. Liberals protect themselves by dualistic suspicion
judgments (dismissive of others). Conservatives do the same with
dualistic worthiness judgments. Both engage in their own kind of
superiority system (92)

* How did we ever get correct rational ideas confused with an abundant
life (John 10:10)?

* I'm not writing to change anyone's beliefs, doctrines, dogmas, or
moralities. I'm hoping to change the mind by which you understand these
very things

* Catholic theology has always insisted that faith and reason are not
opposites

* The litmus-test of a higher state of awareness is that it always
includes and honors all the previous stages. No longer either-or
thinking but now both-and thinking...

* With the judgmental, unforgiving, weak in empathy and sympathy, inside
the prison of meritocracy, where all has to be deserved... Be patient
with such people, even if you are the target of their judgment, because
on some level that is how they treat themselves as well.

*****

Richard has an Appendix titled 'The Shining Word "AND" '

"And" teaches us to say yes

"And" allows us to be both-and

"And" keeps us from either-or

"And" teaches us to be patient and long-suffering

"And" is willing to wait for insight and integration

"And" keeps us from dualistic thinking

"And" does not divide the field of the moment

"And" helps us to live in the always imperfect now

"And" keeps us inclusive and compassionate toward everything

"And" demands that our contemplation become action

"And" insists that our action is also contemplative

"And" heals our racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism

"And" keeps us from the false choice of liberal *or* conservative

"And" allows us to critique both sides of things

"And" allows us to enjoy both sides of things

"And" is far beyond any one nation or political party

"And" helps us face and accept our own dark side

"And" allows us to ask for forgiveness and to apologize

"And" is the mystery of paradox in all things

"And" is the way of mercy

"And" makes daily, practical love possible

"And" does not trust love if it is not also justice

"And" does not trust justice if it is not also love

"And" is far beyond my religion versus your religion

"And" allows us to be both distinct and yet united

"And" is the very Mystery of Trinity (pp. 180-181).

Shalom/Salaam/Pax! Rowland Croucher

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/

Justice for Dawn Rowan - http://dawnrowansaga.blogspot.com/
2010-06-28 20:46:17 UTC
Post by **Rowland Croucher**
* Stop thinking about this or that: fall into 'objectless consciousness'
"All things are probable. Try to believe.
Really! Try to believe even if it's bloody stupid and irrational.
Why? Because I said so, that's why! Don't ask questions. Just believe." -
Mark 17:1-3 (MTV)

Th above parody works because it is exactly what fundamentalists want you to
do - stop using your God-given mind.
Post by **Rowland Croucher**
* How did we ever get correct rational ideas confused with an abundant
life (John 10:10)?
When fundamentalsits told us that using our God-given minds was evil and of
the Devil. See above.
Post by **Rowland Croucher**
* Catholic theology has always insisted that faith and reason are not
opposites
Fundamentalism has always insisted that faith and reason are opposites. See
above again and read Karen Armstrong "The Battle For God: Fundamentalism in
Judaism, Christianity and Islam" ((Harper Perennial:2000)
Post by **Rowland Croucher**
* The litmus-test of a higher state of awareness is that it always
includes and honors all the previous stages. No longer either-or thinking
but now both-and thinking...
So one must ALWAYS remain a brain-dead fundamentalist stuck in stage 3 or
lower in Fowler's Stages of Faith ... sounds like a usual local church .....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stages of Faith, by James W. Fowler (published in paperback by
Harper Collins, 1995.)

Stage 1--Magical World

ages 2-6, perceives the world through lens of imagination and intuition
unrestrained by logic e.g., lives in a magical world in which anything is
possible

Stage 2--Concrete Family

ages 6-12, sees the world as a story--concrete, literal, narrative family of
ritual and myth e.g., "In the beginning, God created the . . ."

~Stage 2 collapses when teenagers use newfound power of abstract thought to
deconstruct previous understanding of the world e.g., risk of rejecting
religious beliefs of parents, and identifying with surrounding secular
culture

Stage 3--Faith Community *

teenager to early adulthood or beyond, sees the world through the lens of
the peer community e.g., unconsciously "catches" faith, values, and way of
thinking from peer group or subculture. Tends not to question the accepted
ways of thinking e.g., "if the Bible says . . . it must be true" or "if some
group says . . . it's the Truth" difficult dealing calmly and rationally
with issues that touches on one's identity

Stage 4--Rational Constructs *

adulthood (if) traditional answers stop making sense e.g., beliefs
previously unquestioned are called into account; develops the capacity to
step back (usually for the first time) and examine beliefs with reason
universe is reconstructed with self-chosen concepts might experience deep
disappointment/anger on finding some beliefs did not stand up to
investigation

Stage 5--Numinous (Supernatural/Mysterious) Universe

mid-life or latter (if) it seems we have run up against the limits of
rational thought e.g., the search for certainty can end in feelings of
failure/despair; we come to live in a spiritual universe of mystery, wonder,
and paradox e.g.,
we might return to sacred symbol, story, tradition, liturgy, spiritual
community, but no longer captured in a theological box

Stage 6--Selfless Service **

rare stage for many; identifies deeply with all humanity, and spends
themselves in service of worldwide issues of love, and justice e.g., Mahatma
Gandhi, Mother Theresa, etc.

(*) To those in stage 3 or higher, the next stage looks like a loss of
faith, and the previous stage is repulsive. This can be seen when stage 3
engages in witch hunting, and stage 4 baits and taunts stage 3.

Post by **Rowland Croucher**
"And" teaches us to say yes
"And" allows us to be both-and